Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cheese impulse

The best impulse buy of the month: a cheese-making kit.  I made N walk to the used book store with me, and on the way home we saw a small sign in the window of the local beer brewing supply store advertising new cheese-making kits.
 

We decided to try it, and by "we" I mean "N", with much support and cheering by me.

Adding something...
 The whole process took under two hours.

Looks gross, but those are the curds. And whey.

Curds after draining the whey.

 The best part for me was watching N attempt to pull the hot curds.  (You are supposed to pull it/them like taffy.)

Hot curds! 135F.
There were many, many faces twisted in pain, followed by some light cursing.


In the end we had three moderately attractive and incredibly tasty balls of mozzarella.


To celebrate I mixed up some dough and we made pizzas for supper.  It was super yummy!

2 comments:

Chimpsea said...

So I keep seeing this pin on pinterest saying you can turn a gallon of milk into a nice blob of mozzarella. Are there other ingredients or secrets involved? I did not know about these kits...

the L of L and N said...

Yes to ingredients! No to secrets! The kit basically contains rennet, citric acid, salt, a thermometer, and instructions. I think that's all you really need, apart from the milk. Once we use up the ingredients that came with the kit we'll just buy them a la carte.