Sunday, February 5, 2012

More pics from the trip

I was looking through my trip pictures again, and thought I would share a couple more.

My favorite museum, Musée des arts et métiers in Paris, is housed partly in an old church.  It is a beautiful environment for all of their exhibits!
  Musée des arts et métiers

This one is obvious.


All of these disparate styles are part of one single church, St. Peter's in Geneva, Switzerland.  This church is the birthplace of Calvinism.

Cathedral of St. Peter in Geneva

The library in Wolfenbüttel was fascinating.  The librarian giving us our tour explained that most of the books in the original collection (closed in 1666) were bound in white parchment because the collector had his own cataloging system, and wanted to be able to write on the spines.  There are some books in the collection with brown leather spines, which he purchased already bound.  As she was telling us about the binding process, I turned around and snapped two close-up pictures of books behind me, one with the white parchment binding, and one with the brown leather binding.

When I was showing some pictures to a friend she noted that the one leather-bound book I happened to photograph is Martin Luther's Bible.


No comments: