Friday, January 6, 2012

Condemned!

I actually wrote this a couple of days ago, and saved it with the intention of funnying it up a bit.  I decided that timely trumps funny, so here it is.



Did you know there are people in this world with the power to condemn your furnace?

Our beautiful monstrosity of a furnace is living proof.  We knew it was old and on its last leg when we bought the house, but it has managed to limp along.

ye ol' furnace

Although I implemented some pretty steep heating austerity measures this winter I noticed I was using more gas than last year.  N and I decided to call a furnace guy in to service ye ol' heater and tune it up.  Furnace guy discovered several cracks and evidence that not insignificant amounts of carbon monoxide (CO) have been spilling out into the house.  This was the point at which he condemned the furnace.

mmm... duct tape

Furnace guy was going to turn ye ol' heater back on to measure the CO output (to satisfy our curiosity), but encountered some difficulty with the nonstandard wiring.  The attempt ended with a fireball eminating from ye ol' heater and removing the hairs from his hands and lower arms.  We haven't turned the furnace on since.

Since the sentence was passed last Wednesday we've been running on space heaters.  We have so far burned out only one space heater by running it constantly.

The new furnace arrived in town today, and will come on over around 9 or 9:30 tomorrow morning.

giant angry knob

Here's hoping for some warmer toilet seats soon!

No comments: