Monday, June 14, 2010

Garden update

So, this really isn't the best update, because I took these pictures a week or two ago, and the tomatoes have grown a LOT since then. They are pushing over the cages. They are powerful, huge, wonderful plants.


The plums look great, too! I am still surprised that the old plum tree is able to produce! I am thinking about planting another fruit tree on the other side of the shed. I have yet to decide between a plum tree (makes great jelly) and a pear tree (I love them canned and dried).


Why pear or plum, you might ask? Why not one of the many other tasty fruit trees?

Apple, perhaps? An apple tree is right out, because I don't want to spray that much.

Peach? I hate peaches. I have told N many, many times that I hate peaches, and he never seems to remember and is surprised every time I tell him. I can't decide if he's just not listening and paying attention to me, or if he loves peaches so much that his brain just can't process the fact that anyone would not only not love them, but actually hate them.

Apricot? They only produce every five years or so. I'm told it's because they're susceptible to early frost. That could be a totally bogus reason, but it's what I'm told.

Nectarine? Too much like a peach.

Cherry? Maybe. Maybe I should add cherry tree to the list of possibilities...

3 comments:

erin said...

It's beautiful.

Kristine said...

What is this spicy new background? Exciting. Um....I didn't realize you already had a plum tree. Take that off the list! Pear is the way to go.

the L of L and N said...

Yeah, but the plum tree is about 250 years old, and I don't know how many years it has left. It also only has two branches left.