Wednesday, April 9, 2008

PBTH!

I had this blog post all planned out. It was going to be a shining monument to the progress I had made beating back winter in our driveway. I was going to start out with two progress shots.



First, a photo from April 4. Notice that the glacier edge is now several feet from the seam. As your eyes travel into the picture, away from the driveway, you can see a bit of the sidewalk appear. It took me several hours, several episodes of This American Life podcasts, and two blisters to achieve this level of de-ice-ification. I thought about sharing pictures of the blisters, too. I decided instead to plug This American Life, which comes to us all from Chicago Public Radio. According to their website, "each week we choose a theme and put together different kinds of stories on that theme". In my own head, it's the Harper's of radio.


Second, a photo from April 6. I have reached the edge of the cement! The rest of our driveway to the left, everything still covered by glacier, is gravel. This marked the end of my driveway progress, and I began to focus on the sidewalk.


The ice on our sidewalk proved to be just as thick and solid as the glacier in the driveway.


Did you notice the grill in the background? Yes, it has been warm enough to grill. Amusingly, the grill warmed up enough to sink about half an inch into the ice as we were cooking the burgers.


This photo was/is for Abby. One of her recent posts focused on her desire for people to be more open about their messy houses. This battery, appearing during melt the way all petrified trash and litter does, is right next to our front door. It came from my car. N replaced the neon's battery for me last fall, but never got around to disposing of the old battery. There is some dispute in our household over whether I should bear some responsibility in this situation.




Anyway, up to this point, it has pretty much been the post I planned on. And then this morning...















stupid mother nature.

1 comment:

@sweetbabboo said...

Ugh. How very frustrating! That's how Spring is though. It likes to tease that it's coming but really winter is still hanging around. I love the battery photo... A and I often "debate" who bears the responsibility of taking care of household chores